X-Men Last Stand (Spoilers)
I didn't really enjoy the latest X-Men film. Whilst it was well made for an action flick and there was plenty of excitement, I just can't overlook the many downers in the film.
Warning: SPOILERS BELOW
Some of the major issues I had were:
- It seems Xavier turned Jean Grey into a schizophrenic when she was a girl in order to try and limit her power. This seems completely at odds with Xavier's philosophy and morality.
- They killed off major characters without any real fan-fare or dramatics. Cyclops dies after a pathetic bit part. Xavier dies with little explanation (after what looked to me like they just grabbed his lines and poses from previous films - was he even in the film or did they just reuse old footage?). Mystique and Magneto and Rogue all lose their powers...supposedly for ever. I guess contractual arrangements were up and they needed to go, but there are other ways. Jean Grey/Phoenix dies after making the case for every anti-mutant in the film.
- This was the most heavy departure from the orignal stories yet. It seemed more like a generic super hero film than a x-men one. It's almost like another high-lander 2 film in that regard.
- The dialogue had a lot stolen from previous films, not a lot of new, original and snappy lines.]
- The poor sappy romance angle that was put through the film never grabbed me (due to the aforementioned deaths I guess).
Ultimately, I was dissapointed. I prefer to not see the heroes die, and if they do, pointless, low grade deaths are much worse. This is what happens when you change your director to Brett Ratner.